- ► 2013 (3)
- 14 - 72 ILTTA Results
- 31 - Angler's first-ever marlin nets whopping sum of $2.4 million
- 24 - XXXIV Arecibo, PR Sailfish Classic
- 02 - Blue Marlin Pics!
- 01 - Gaviota Takes the 59th International Billfish Tournament @ San Juan, PR
- 19 - Equipo Ballyhoo campeón en IV Válida de pesca
- 05 - PEJE WINS 40TH ANNIVERSARY USVI OPEN/ATLANTIC BLUE MARLIN TOURNAMENT, VALDES EARNS TOP ANGLER
- 13 - Big Win for Karla on the 36th Vega Baja, PR Blue Marlin Classic
- 06 - Kiana & Double Interest Top Boats @ Arecibo, PR Blue Marlin Tournament
- 21 - 36th Vega Baja, PR Blue Marlin Classic
- 05 - Queen Of Hearts Takes Out The Blue Marlin World Cup
- 04 - BLACK GOLD WINS 49TH JULY OPEN BILLFISH TOURNAMENT
- 23 - Southport 28' TATATA & Sea Vee 32' Bayside @ Cap Cana, DR
- 23 - Shark Bite Wins 2012 International Billfish Shootout
- 03 - Cap Cana April Whites
- 28 - AVET Reels NOW Available @ Bayside Bait and Tackle
- 27 - Take action to protect billfish today by asking your Congressman to support the Billfish Conservation Act of 2011
- 27 - Lions and Tigers of the Sea
- 10 - EVELYN Best Boat on CYC Sailfish Tournament
- 10 - Lady Magic Takes the Lead with 700pts in the 1st Puerto Rico Billfish Challenge
- 02 - The short man and the sea
- 02 - Arecibo Nautical Club Presents: 31st Sailfish Classic
- 02 - 8th Cangrejos Yacht Club Sailfish Tournament
- 19 - 1st Puerto Rico Web Billfish Challenge
- 12 - Reglas y Premios para el gran pasadía de pesca a beneficio de SER de PR
- 12 - Polyp Wins XXIII International Light Tackle Blue Marlin Tournament
- 04 - Pacemaker wins 2011 Boquerón Nautical Club Blue Marlin Tournament
- 29 - Kites vs. Trolling – Which Reigns Supreme
- 28 - Monster blue marlin caught after 28-hour battle off Cabo San Lucas
- 23 - Gran Pasadia de Pesca de SER de Puerto Rico
- 23 - 37th Boqueron Nautical Club Blue Marlin Tournament
- 21 - Yardita wins VII Marina Boquerón Blue Marlin Tournament
- 20 - NOAA y Sea Grant PR Establecen Plan Piloto para Reportar Agujas Abordadas
- 12 - Mayte Wins Top Boat in the 2011 IBTSJ
- 31 - 58 International Billfish Tournament
- 18 - St. Thomas, USVI - Revenge Top Boat at 39th Atlantic Blue Marlin Tournament
- 08 - Vega Baja, PR - Grand Illusion wins Blue Marlin Tournament
- 02 - Gio Takes 1st Place in Arecibo, PR
- ► May (1)► April (2)
- ► November (1)
- ► November (8)
- Hits: 706
For the second time in five years, the Bermuda based team aboard QUEEN OF HEARTS emerged victorious in the world wide Blue Marlin World Cup Championship (World Cup). They had previously won the World Cup in 2007. In this very unique event, teams from around the globe compete annually each July 4 for eight hours in their time zone to see who can land the largest blue marlin 500 pounds or more. Hundreds of thousands of dollars are at stake.
It was the seventh win for Bermuda in 28 years. Only Kona, Hawaii has as many World Cup wins. It was only the second time in the event's history that the same team had won two times. Happy Hooker, fishing in the Cape Verde Islands did it in 2006 and 2010.
Walter Cross, owner of QUEEN OF HEARTS, and his captain, Peter Olander are local Bermudans. Glen Astwood was the angler that actually landed the winning 768 pound marlin. It was one of only two marlin caught in the tournament that exceeded the World Cup minimum size. All smaller marlin were released including some that were tagged.
There were 138 teams competing in the one day, one winner, World Cup. Other locations where teams competed were Queensland, Australia, Angola, Portugal, Madeira, Azores, Canary Islands, Cape Verde Islands, Bahamas, Costa Rica, Mexico, Virgin Islands, French Polynesia and US locations including Kona, Louisiana and Cape May, New Jersey.
International anglers represented Russia, Finland, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, France, United Kingdom, Germany, Italy and Mozambique.
The winning marlin was caught on a Black Bart Zulu lure. Black Bart is the official lure of the World Cup and the winning team will receive a set of Black Bart lures, shirts and caps. They will also receive four pairs of Maui Jim sunglasses and an invitation to the 2013 Offshore World Championship.
A portion of the proceeds of the World Cup is donated in support of marine conservation to the IGFA and The Billfish Foundation.